On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Wout Bittremieux <bittremi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Op woensdag 29 februari 2012 20:56:58 UTC+1 schreef TP het volgende:
>>
>> Are you saying that even after installing VC++2008 Express Edition,
>> you still didn't have access to the MSVCR90D.DLL? I would have thought
>> (as I mentioned in my reply to your other post), that installing
>> VC++2008EE would fix your problem. On the other hand, from what I saw
>> while researching your earlier question, I gather that all sorts of
>> slightly weird edge cases can disable debugging:
>>
>> + installing VC++2008EE in the wrong order, along with VS
>>
>> + or not also installing the Service Packs in the right order
>>
>> + or strangely having your project reside on a network drive rather
>> than a local drive
>>
>> + turning on incremental linking (it works if people turn off
>> incremental linking?)
>>
>> + generating a manifest
>>
>> See
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/8f08777b-1c4d-4e10-89a2-f7bc95cf5e98/
>> for a really strange thread wherein people mention the problems
>> they've seen and the weird solutions they've come up with.
>
> I must have been a bit unclear. As a matter af fact, when developing in
> VS2010 and after installing VC++2008EE, I was able to debug successfully
> because installing VC++2008EE added MSVCR90D.DLL to my machine. So debugging
> in VS2010 works now. The only minor inconvenience is installing VC++2008EE
> on the developer machines alongside VS2010.
> On a machine without VC++2008EE and only VS2010, debugging doesn't work,
> because of the absence of MSVCR90D.DLL of course.

Okay. Good. That's what I thought (and I'll fix the VS2010 Notes to
reflect the need for MSVCR90D.DLL when debugging and how installing
VC++2008EE can solve the problem).

> Op woensdag 29 februari 2012 20:56:58 UTC+1 schreef TP het volgende:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Wout Bittremieux wrote:
>> > I was able to successfully build Tesseract revision 684 using the
>> > procedure
>> > you outlined in your documentation.
>> >
>> > If you recall correctly, last week I had some problems using Tesseract
>> > and
>> > Leptonica in Visual Studio 2010. I built Tesseract in particular using
>> > Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. The build procedure was successful and
>> > was able to use the libraries generated by all four build configurations
>> > in
>> > your APITest project. However, strangely enough, I was only able to use
>> > the
>> > dynamic libraries (debug and release) in my Visual Studio 2010 project
>> > (of
>> > course when keeping in mind the correct procedure for freeing up the
>> > memory
>> > allocated by these libraries). However, strangely enough, using the
>> > static
>> > libraries resulted in several 'unresolved external symbol' errors.
>>
>> Glad to hear you were able to correctly build using VC++2008 Express,
>> That is a bit strange, but you'd have tell me what "unresolved
>> external symbol" errors you are seeing for me to comment further.
>
> See the attachments for a list of all linking errors in the static debug and
> release builds. The strange thing is that when using those static libraries
> built by VC++2008EE in VS2010, the linking errors occur. However, when using
> static libraries built in VS2010, no linking errors occur. (So I only
> adjusted the additional libraries directory, no other project settings where
> changed.)
> Furthermore, using the static libraries built with VC++2008EE in a
> VC++2008EE project (f.e. APITest), again no linking errors occur and they
> work correctly.

Looks to me like some file in your project isn't properly including
the correct standard C++ headers. You need to add at least
#include <string> and maybe #include <iostream>.