well, it was a web services interface, and some of the services required root permission to manipulate certain backend elements.

You still have the root permissions. it's only the server that starts with non-root perms. why do you needed that override?

you need to be root in order to start Apache so its children run as root - the forced change to the nobody user was wrecking things for me.

anyway, enough on that :)

I don't think we need to chdir to /tmp

hmm, I would have thought that was necessary, but without trying it entirely I guess I won't know :)

anyway, I'll be back into the swing of things late this week and can help out.

BTW, are we still +1 on the have_apache_mpm() patch I posted last? I know Bill had some thoughts on hitting up ap_mpm_query instead of httpd -V, but if we can agree on have_apache_mpm() as the API, then we can use the current implementation and I can play with ap_mpm_query in a bit.

--geoff