On Oct 3, 2013, at 11:48 PM, John Morris <jmor...@beau.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-10-03 at 20:59 +0200, drago01 wrote:
>> You should get an icon indicating failure just no success one. Which
>> is even very unixy ;)
>
> Well GNU is Not Unix and these days Fedora isn't even following that
> star.  How does Apple do it?

OS X does not have a wired network icon for the persistent menu bar at all. Not
by default or as an option. User needs to go to the Network panel to see the
state which is one of three: not connected (red), connected but no IP (yellow),
connect with IP (green).

OS X does have a wireless network icon on the menu bar. It can optionally be
removed. It's completely gray when there is no connection, otherwise it
indicates signal strength. An X is never used to indicate state.  If the signal
weakens or vanishes, the menu bar icon simply goes gray. No dialog, no text. A
dialog appears with a connection failure only when actively connecting to a
discrete access point and the connection attempt fails (wrong login or
password, or error establishing connection).

> Screen space is valuable so removing an icon that is 'always' there and
> isn't typically displaying useful information is sensible enough.  But
> as the bug commenters noted, some people DO move between wired
> connections and such so an option to put it back really needs a bit of
> thought.

A wired state icon in the menu bar is not needed if it's available upon making
a physical connection, by default, for all users. For Gnome 3.8, I regularly
encountered no network connection upon successful install, despite a working
wire in the singular ethernet port, because by default "Connect Automatically"
is not enabled for wired connections.

So if I have to give the system A Captain Obvious Clue, yes I really do need an
otherwise useless wired network state icon in the menubar. But better would be
no wired network icon, but any user by default has access to the network
connection automatically if the wired is in the port. (As a Mac user the idea
that a network isn't connected to automatically by default upon physical access
to both computer and wire is not merely surprising, it is considered broken.)

Chris Murphy