    > I believe I found the answer to the problem.  I checked my $PATH
    > and found that it was being reset with a source command in my
    > .login file (which is run after the .cshrc file).  This
    > eliminated the following paths from my $PATH

    > /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/

    > Without this last line in the PATH, I previously cd'ed to the
    > powerpc-apple-darwin-current directory to issue the "texconfig
    > init" command.  Perhaps this caused something in that directory
    > to be loaded instead of what should have been loaded.  Once I
    > corrected the PATH problem I was able to issue the "texconfig
    > init" command from my home directory and now here is the new
    > corresponding portion of the texconfig.log.

Yes, this was the problem.

When TeX searches for .tex files it first looks in the current
directory.

texinfo.ini contains the lines:

\input plain
\input texinfo

If no extension is given, tex first looks for a file without an
extension and if this fails it appends .tex to the filename and tries
again.  In your case it found the symlink pointing to the tex binary.

BTW., I just tried to run `texconfig init texinfo' from the bin
directory after adding texinfo to fmtutil.cnf and it worked.  The
reason is that the symlink is created by texconfig after the format
file is installed.  When I run `texconfig init texinfo' again it read
the binary.  It seems that there already was a texiinfo installed on
your system.

Running tex inside the texmf tree or the bin directory can be very
confusing.  Some time ago I edited texmf-local/web2c/fmtutil.cfg and
wondered why my changes had been ignored.  I wasted a lot of time
until I noticed that I called texconfig from the web2c directory where
the original fmtutil.cfg resided.

While having the current directory at the front of tex's search path
is reasonable, it is quite dangerous to have it in the $PATH.

    > Notice that
    > "plain.tex" is read after "texinfo.ini" rather than texinfo from
    > the powerpc-apple-darwin-current directory:

To be more precise, plain.tex is read *while* texinfo.ini is read.
An opening brace means opening a file and a closing brace means
closing a file.  A simplified version of your log file looks like:

 (cp8bit.tcx) (texinfo.ini (plain.tex) (texinfo.tex))

There is something in your first logfile I do not understand:

    > This is TeXk, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.2) (INITEX)  16 AUG 2004
    > 23:40
    >  %&-line parsing enabled.
    >  (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
    > **texinfo.ini
    > (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/texinfo/texinfo.ini
    > (/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/texinfo
    > ! Undefined control sequence.
    > l.5 [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL
PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@

plain.tex should have been loaded before texinfo.tex.  Did you remove
something from the log?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-4592165
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]