"HH" == Harald Hanche-Olsen writes:

 HH> + Oliver Grewe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
 HH> | in our documents we have often something like:
 HH> |
 HH> | \usepackage{$HOME/path...}
 HH> |
 HH> | or
 HH> |
 HH> | \input{$HOME/path...}
[...]
 HH> \let\ORIGusepackage\usepackage \renewcommand*{\usepackage}[1][]%
 HH> {\def\do{\egroup\ORIGusepackage[#1]{\1}}% \bgroup\catcode`\$=0
 HH> \afterassignment\do \xdef\1}

why do these tricks with catcodes ? how could it be that in teTeX 1.0,
as the OP says, works and teTeX 3.0 stopped working?

 > Must we stay on tetex-1.0 or is there a possibility to teach tetex-3.0 to
 > know
 > environment-variables under UNIX?

since when did TeX know anything about arbitrary environment variables
like HOME, and allowed to transparently and naively use them in TeX
documents? your statement that "in our documents we have often
something like \usepackage{$HOME/path...}", and that works in teTeX
1.0, seems very unlikely to be true.

Could you show a small example of such document, together with the
complete log file after processing it with latex from teTeX 1.0?

Best,
v.