+ Oliver Grewe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

|  Here is one example why we want the flexibility of using $HOME in
|  our documents:

And you can have it precisely the way you want it, using the
workaround I sent two days ago.  Did you receive it?

But there are better solutions:

I understand what you're saying about CVS and files in
$HOME/machine-a/part-xy/part-x and $HOME/machine-a/part-xy/part-y and
so forth.

The typical way to deal with this is to decide on some directory to
run LaTeX from, say $HOME/machine-a.  The you can refer to LaTeX files
in the various subdirectories using RELATIVE pathnames:
\input{part-xy/part-x/thingumajiggie}
\input{part-xy/part-y/whatchamacallit}
even files residing in the various subdirectories use this model of
reference, since file names are relative to the directory LaTeX runs
in, not relative to the directory of the file that does the inclusion.

That last part wasn't totally right: Pathnames are relative to
whatever directories are mentioned along the search path.  So, you can
build your document in a totally different directory as follows:

TEXINPUTS=$HOME/machine-a: latex thedocument

|  I would prefer not to change our system now, it's too much work!

That is your decision of course.

| so if we cannot work with $HOME in tetex-3, we must go back to
| tetex-2 and stay on this version?

Just use my workaround.

| i hope it is now more clear why we want this easy way of using $HOME
| in latex.

Yes.  I still don't quite agree, but I understand the part about not
changing a large system, and you don't have to.  At least, by using my
workaround, if you decide to change, you can do so gradually.

- Harald