> Then in your document you can say
>
>     \input{home}
>     \input{\HOME/some-file}  %% expands to \input{/home/olli/some-file}
>
> and the result should be the same as
>
>     \input{$HOME/some-file}  %% expands to \input{/home/olli/some-file}

But this means for us that we MUST change our calculating and reporting
software
too which automatically produce lots of latex-files with \input{$HOME/...}.

Then we have 2 different versions of this software, one with $HOME and one
without.

It is often the case that we need to re-run an old calculation, then we would
have to return to an older tetex version as well!

Yes, it is very important that we use the same software-version  to recalculate
as was used for the initial certification for one machine.

It would be better to have the latex relevant parts in our software UNCHANGED.

Olli