On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:29:41AM +0200, Thomas Esser wrote:
> > Without going into a lot of detail, a workaround was to add
> > /usr/share/texmf-var/fonts/map//
> > to TEXFONTMAPS, in addition to /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map//. Is this
>
> If the system puts stuff into /usr/share/texmf-var, then this tree should
> be listed in the TEXMF variable.

    OK, I understand now. I had for many years been setting TEXMF
myself, to different paths depending on what OS and packaged version of
tetex I was using. The configuration value in
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, which does include the texmf-var path,
was thus being overridden, fatally so.
    Thanks!
    Jon