Thomas Esser writes:

> This problem does not exist in the default configuration of teTeX
> (i.e. as set up when installing my sources).

It would help if the default install would adhere more to the FHS, so
that packagers would not _have_ to move stuff around.

Moving tetex into the Right Place (TM), and splitting the texmf tree
up into digestable chunks are the biggest problem for me when
packaging tetex.  The sad thing is, that every packager rolls his own,
and all tetex installs are different.

I usually copy^H^H^H^Hlearn from what the Debian team does, but I dare
not move the config files into /etc, eg.

Some problems are

   /usr/share/texmf-var             (-> /var/lib/tetex, I guess?)
   /usr/share/texmf/web2c/*cfg and  (-> /etc/tetex/*.cfg)
   /usr/share/texmf/dvips/*ps and   (-> /etc/dvips/*.cfg)
   ~/.texmf-var                     (-> ~/.tetex/var)
   /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1     (-> /usr/share/fonts/type1/
   etc.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter