> It would help if the default install would adhere more to the FHS, so
> that packagers would not _have_ to move stuff around.

I guess that there is no single directory layout that makes everybody
happy. The current implementation has the advantage that everything
is below a common prefix. Following the FHS would break that.

So, the solution would be to implement different structures and to add
configure options to choose between them. For me, all this is no priority
(which means that I propably won't do it).

Thomas