On 3/12/06, Frederic Baldit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Don't ask me, ask debian people.
> >
> > It's been in TEXMFSYSVAR/VARTEXMF also in teTeX 2.0.2 in Debian, because
> > other packages (jadetex, ptex, xmltex,...) have to add their format
> > information to it.
> OK.
> As far as I understand, my teTeX installation is correct ( have done nothing
> but installed the teTeX debian packages through apt-get).
> My initial problem was that some makefile  asked for kpsewhich to tell where
> was fmtutil.cnf and got no answer.
> Adding  "--format='web2c files' "  to the command fixed the problem. Now my
> latex shareware extension seems properly installed.
>
> In fact I stay with my question : Yes or No , in a "normal" (i.e. basic,
> without any customization)  teTeX installation, should the kpsewhich command
> be able to find the  fmtutil.cnf file (initially located
> in /var/lib/texmf/web2c) when runned from a user home directory ?? Said
> differently, is it the "normal behaviour" to run kpsewhich with somme format
> option to get the file's path ?

If the Makefile just had "kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf" it was wrong.   That
will "work" on some systems that mix different type files in the same
tree, but in general people writing Makefiles should use the
--format='...' to be sure the right trees are searched.  Even if you
know that it will work, it is courtesy to the reader to indicate the
type of file as an aid to understanding what is intended.

--
George N. White III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia