I am sorry if this is a silly question.

I have spent several hours on this, and read all the documentation that I
can find (not all of which I understand), and still can't get this to work :-(

I have installed teTeX from the Mandriva 2006.0 RPM database on to my
Mandriva 2006.0 system. I have made NO changes to the installed files. The
RPM creates a system-wide texmf tree rooted in /usr/share/texmf.

I want to use a Garamond typeface, and discovered the URW Garamond No. 8
type 1 files at TUG
(https://www.tug.org/tex-archive/nonfree/fonts/urw/garamond/).

I create a directory ~/texmf as the root for a local texmf tree that is
just for me, not for the entire system.

I have carefully followed the instructions in README.garamond in that
directory, using ~/texmf as the root for the texmf tree (including running
texhash and updmap exactly as described in README.garamond).

Now I actually want to use the typeface in my plain TeX file.

Problem: I don't know what to use in the line:
\font\rm=<something>
Normally, for Computer Modern, one would just put:
\font\rm=cmr10

I have all kinds of things for <something>, but none of hem work. For example:
\font\rm=garamond
\font\rm=ugm
\font\rm=ugmr8a
\font\rm=ugmr8c

They give various kinds of errors. Maybe I have not found the right thing
to put in place of <something>.

For example. when I try
\font\rm=ugmr8a
the error is:

[H:] pdftex test
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./test.tex [1{/usr/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
[2] )</usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>kpathsea: Running
mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 ugmr8a
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ugmr8a.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is driving me slowly crazy.

  Doc Evans