Ralf Stubner said the following at 05/27/2006 05:59 AM :
> Robin Fairbairns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> however, the fact that you get failures with ugmr8a seems to imply
>> that you've not installed the .tfm/.vf files from ugm.zip,
> [...]
>
> I wondered about that, too. However, ugmr8a does not work on my system
> either, and I am sure that I have installed it correctly. It looks as if
> ugmr8a is a nonvirtual/raw/physical font without an entry in the map
> file. This can't work, and I am not sure why Walter included these TFM
> files at all.

Actually, as I was thinking about this overnight, I decided that I don't
understand why it's ever trying to build a bit-mapped font. Surely pdfTeX
can simply use the .pfb file directly. I guess I simply don't understand
how pdfTeX and type 1 fonts work at all, and I need to google around to
find a good explanation.

  Doc