On Tuesday, 31 October 2000 09:12:33 +0100,
Mikael Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 > I have a problem with TeX Memory. On page xi in The LaTeX CompanionIs
 > showed an overview of the memory used to compile the book. I have a
 > problem with these limits:
 >
 > Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 >  5126 strings out of 10894
 >  71940 string characters out of 71940
 >  101055 words of memory out of 263001
 >  7695 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+0
 >  198841 words of font info for 222 fonts, out of 400000 for 1000
 >  22 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 >  33i,20n,29p,943b,676s stack positions out of 300i,100n,500p,50000b,4000s
 > Output written on tmpTest.dvi (1286 pages, 4168772 bytes).
 >
 > Now my question is if it is possible to raise these limits at compiletime
 > or be tweaking a variable somewhere?

Have a look into the file returned by the command

        kpsewhich texmf.cnf

This configuration file allows you to raise almost all of these limits
for the next start of xyzTeX (and zyxMF etc.) without the need to
recompile them.

 > I the LaTeX Companion is is mentioned that the font limit was nearly
 > reached and that it can not be raised. I am having trouble believing that
 > is true? What would the purpose be for not allowing these limits to be
 > scalable to the system?

The paragraph in the LaTeX Companion references the maximum number of
different fonts which is limited to 256 if you do not patch TeX.web at
different places.  These necessary patches are already applied within
web2c/teTeX/fpTeX and the limit can be set to a value higher than 256
(1000 in your example).  Nonetheless there is a fixed limit of the
number of fonts (<=2000) which can be loaded due to the non-dynamic
internal data structures in TeX.web.

Best wishes,
  -bernd
Bernd Raichle                                  "Le langage est source
Autor des `german.sty' (aktuell: v2.5e)         de malentendus"
                                               (A. de Saint-Exupery)