hi all,

> I do understand;  and I find that it was a question deserving a better
> answer.  I am only sorry I cannot go into details because I'm just a
> normal user myself.
>
> The answer is no, you can't do that:  the dvi previewer distributed with
> tetex (xdvi) has no mechanism of that sort.

well, aparently the latest version of xdvi does have this fuctionality. i
followed the link that torsten zech gave on this list in response to my
question, and after a couple of hours of fiddling, i got it to work! i now
have forward _and_ inverse search with emacs/xdvi. if anyone would like some
tips, just let me know, and i can tell them what i had to do. (this included
fixing a bug in the lisp-code for forward search...)

there are still two things i don't understand, though. when i do an inverse
search, emacs tells me "when done with a buffer, type C-x #". i have no idea
what that is for. and if i do a forward search, xdvi has to be running.
somehow the call to xdvi does not manage to start up a new instance of xdvi.
i know this has nothing to do with tetex (so it shouldn't be on this list)
but is there anyone who can shed some light on this?

thanks,

joost

--
Joost Kremers, M.A.

University of Nijmegen
Department of Languages and Cultures of the Middle-East

PO Box 9103
6500 HD Nijmegen
tel: 024-3612996
fax: 024-3611972