    > [...]
    > there are still two things i don't understand, though. when i do
    > an inverse search, emacs tells me "when done with a buffer, type
    > C-x #". i have no idea what that is for. and if i do a forward

This means that you should type "C-x #" to kill a buffer that is
opened by an emacs client (xdvi in this case) instead of "C-x k".

    > search, xdvi has to be running.  somehow the call to xdvi does
    > not manage to start up a new instance of xdvi.  i know this has

Probably it works if you set the environment in your ~/.emacs.

I tried an old (inofficial) version of xdvi some time ago and there is
still the following line in my ~/.emacs:

(server-start)
(setenv "srcEditorCommand" "emacsclient --no-wait '+%u' '%s'")

I do not remember whether this worked.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                       Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]