On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> George N. White III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I find the current map file mechanism problematic, especially when using
> > non-std fonts, because you can't tell from the TeX source what fonts are
> > really being used.
>
> It is not TeX problem but final output/device dependent. For TeX we use
> only .tfm files.

So you can have dvips fail to find the font that corresponds to the
.tfm file (missing entry) or end up with different fonts being used
on different systems (e.g., Adobe vs URW, MathTime vs Belleek, etc).

> If (for some reason) we have two different map files, we can always declare
> them in config.ps and pdftex.cfg, respectively (p +mymap.map).

You can, but if you take the file to another system or mail it to someone
else, will you remember to change the .map files?  If you use pdftex's
ability to load map files specified in the .tex file, it is at least clear
which fonts you intended to use, and it will be obvious if the required
map files aren't present.

--
George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia