Dear all.

As many of you have probably experienced in ever increasing amount of
emails with faked sender addresses are flooding mailboxes these days.
I've received quite a few such mails, many of them apparently from one
of you, all of them containing very little body texts but nevertheless
rather large (Content-Type: multipart/alternative;) probably some kind
of virus. Similarily I know that people received messages apparently
sent from me. Only by inspecting the full headers of such emails you'll
be able to detect the abuse.

I've come to think whether a web site like the Icking Music Archive is
among the sources of those faked email senders. What makes me think like
that is the fact that it would probably be rather easy to write a
computer program which searches public html documents for references to
email addresses and stores the found addresses in a databse. There are
lots of such web links in our web pages, all of the form

Icking Music Archive" target="_blank">TYPESETTER</a>

In another music archive I'm editing
(http://www.saers.com/recorder/mondrup/) I've today removed all such
links to email addresses and replaced them by simple text which must be
manually copied and pasted into a mail composer in order to be useful. I
imagine that it would be substantially harder for those nasty web
hackers to trace and abuse that kind of email addresses.

My questions to all of you are

- will that kind of quoted email addresses be better protected against
abuse than the current 'user friendly' web links?

- if yes would you be interested in having your addresses in the Icking
Archive thus protected?

Best regards
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus