----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 2:15 PM
Subject: FW: [TeX-music] Web spies and virus spread

> Hello all,
>
> Along the lines of the recent discussion of possible viruses, I am
> trying to understand whether a virus can be contained in the email
> header (as opposed to being in an attachment), and if so what threat
> such a virus can pose.

Hello you only :-)

I, and certainy others, are flooded with the Klez virus, which contains
this html line, *before* the attachment: "iframe scr=3Dcid:";, followed
by the ID number of the attached file that follows.

With Outlook Express version 6, this results in a window pop-up,
which asks you to either save, or open the attachment. AFAIK,
with Outlook Express version 5, the attachment opens without asking
your permission, unless you've stuck Microsoft's last patch.

A typical subject line is "SATB work by Mozart" or something like
that, showing the contribution of our Archive to the virus spread.

> I would also like to mention to users of Outlook that one can view the
> so-called Internet header by right-clicking on the message, and choosing
> Options. This opens a dialogue with a window containing the header. I
> assume this works in Outlook Express as well.

If you havn't got this virus yet, I will be glad to forward the next one I
get to you, so that you can check this in the header. Outlook Express
offers the "source of this message" option in the header window, where
this html line becomes accessible.

Of course, those who enjoy deleting a virus or a spam every 5 minutes
will disagree with Stefan's last message about accessible mail addresses:-)

Regards,

Jean-Pierre Coulon                         E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur
Département FRESNEL, groupe ILGA
BP 4229
06304 NICE Cedex 4

Tel: (33) {0}4 92 00 31 58   Fax: (33) {0}4 92 00 31 38