Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> stanislav kneifl writes:
>
>>It's a nice idea, but there are still some arguments against it:
>>1. The resolution of todays displays is still too low for partitures or
>>crowded piano or organ parts.
>

> today, if money is no object, you can get adequate displays.  tomorrow
> ... who knows?

Yes, IBM has developed a monitor with 200 dpi for some $25,000. We will
have to wait a few years before symphonic orchestra will be able to buy
such piece for each player.

IMHO 1280x1024 is lower limit.

>>3. Either you will still have to print the parts for practicing, or each
>>musician will be required to have a computer at home, with the same
>>system installed and with further problems with off-line score distribution.
>
> networks are improving.  home computers are improving.  i don't see
> this as a problem.

I don't see a problem in technology, but in people. I think there will
be a lot of (older) musicians not willing to use computers for other
things than e-mail.

>>3. It makes acoustic music needlessly dependent on electricity.
>
> my partner has to carry a little clip-on light whenever she sings in
> church, because the ambient light level's often not good enough for
> her rather feeble sight.  lcd displays don't take much power, and we
> don't actually need much of a computer to drive the display: i don't
> believe a battery-powerd model is out of the question.

Yet another note on musician's ice-box: "Dont't forget to recharge your
notebook for the evening concert!!!" :-)

I think all this is a matter of favour. If anyone wants to play from
screen, the jagged slurs are the least important problem, I think.

Stanislav.

P.S.: How a bout a small window with a real-time video image of the
conductor? :-)))