On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Stanislav Kneifl wrote:

> It's a nice idea, but there are still some arguments against it:
> 1. The resolution of todays displays is still too low for partitures or
> crowded piano or organ parts.
> 2. It would be hard to make notes into the score.
> 3. Either you will still have to print the parts for practicing, or each
> musician will be required to have a computer at home, with the same
> system installed and with further problems with off-line score distribution.
> 3. It makes acoustic music needlessly dependent on electricity.

For practising, the paper copy is indispensible where you mark fingerings
and footings, indicate difficult parts and articulation. But for a performance
of an organ piece, it may indeed be a good
thing: the high resolution is not required because the notes are only a help
for the memory. The setting of the stops is done any way by a computer;
why not incorporate a display to show where you are? The electricity is
certainly no argument for an organist.
Christof
> However, if you beg me long enough, I can make antialiase slurs for
> screen displaying. But I still did not find any way how to detect that
> the PS/PDF file is displayed on screen, so there would have to be
> different versions for screen and printer.
I am somewhat puzzled. It is true that the PDF-files look much worse on
screen than the PS-files, but on paper slurs and ties look fine, no matter
wither a 6000-resolution laser pinter or a 300-resolution
inkjet is used. In contrast to YAP, xdvi has no problems in displaying
postscript slurs. The only disadvantage is that the pdf-files generated
by ps2pdf are considerably bigger than the ones generated by pdftex.
Christof