On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 22:54, Daniel Taupin wrote:
> > after some longish debate with Daniel Taupin (where I complained about
> > some packaging issues) I finally noticed that the aforementioned tar.gz
> > file isn't authorized at all by the maintainer. He officially just
> > supports the zip version of his distribution.
>
> Not exactly: I provide the source files in a zip file, and I do not disagree
> with other fellow transforming it into a tar.gz, and adding any executable
> version of musixflx.c for all possible computers.

The problem was not the addition of executables but the confusion
introduced by reorganizing the package tree and adding redundant files
as described.

> > While a separate version customized for Unix like operating systems is a
> > quite good idea, I propose the following:
> >
> > (1) More coordination. Why should the zip file contain a different
> > directory structure and additional redundancy (which I complained about
> > to Daniel -- sorry, Daniel!)? The redundancy I mean is the additional
> > system/c-sources directory only containing files already located
> > elsewhere.
> >
> > (2) When a different distribution is really needed, please document it:
> >
> > (a) There should be a README file or similar describing the archive as a
> > derived package
> > (b) The package should even get a new name (I assume the "T" in T112
> > means "Taupin"?), at least slightly different
>
> T = Taupin, exact.

Fine. Let's exchange this letter with another one for additional
distributions. Then you won't get complaints about directories in the
tar.gz (or whatever) you didn't even know about.

bye,
  Roland