Don Simons wrote:
Sorry, I can't reproduce the error, and line 143 in pmxab is a comment line.
This may be
caused by a dimension problem my Windows version is insensitive to. Can
anyone provide any clearer debug info?

I can reproduce the problem on a Redhat 7.3 linux pc. That is, when I process the sample pmx source with the 'official' pmx release 2.501 compiled with g77. Contrarily a binary compiled with f2c processes the pmx source succesfully.

When I process the pmx source with the most recent pmx bugfix release 2.506 compiled with g77 I still get the warning

--  WARNING:
>  Last non-blank character is "", not "/,%"
>  ASCII code: 191

as long as there is at least one newline character after the last line in the pmx source. If I remove the newline character I see no warning.
There is no warning and no error when I process the pmx source with pmx 2.506 compiled with f2c, regardless of trailing newline charaters.

Hence my advice is

- upgrade to pmx 2.506 and compile with either g77 (straightforward) or f2c (a little more complicated, see http://icking-music-archive.org/software/musixtex/musixtex-for-unix.html#TOC22)

- recompile your current pmx version with f2c.

That being said there remains the question on why pmx behaves differently under linux depending on compiling method.

--
Christian Mondrup, Sheet Music Editor
Werner Icking Music Archive