Interesting question. Here's a way to get rid of the brackets using inline
TeX in PMX:

1 1 4 4 4 4 0 0
1 1 20 0

.\
\\let\unbktt\unbkt\def\nobracku{\def\unbkt##1##2##3{\zcharnote{##1}{~}\let\u
nbkt\unbktt}}\
c45 \nobracku\ c4ax3 d e  c c |
c2x3 c c  c |
\nobracku\ c2x3 c c  c /

The \zcharnote is necessary to use up the pitch reference. Otherwise the
octave could get messed up. Of course the downside is that you have to know
beforehand whether it's an upper or lower bracket, and you have to make
another definition for lower brackets.

I hope you plan to put the Rameau cantatas in the archive.

--Don Simons