Alexander Voinov wrote:
Hi Christian,

Christian Mondrup wrote:

PS I strongly recommend omitting all melismatic slurs in music like this. The inter-syllable dashes and end syllable prolongation lines of the lyrics are fully sufficient for notating melismas.

How could I convince our choir in this? It seems that it's a wide-spread standard to put slurs in these cases.

You're perfectly right. Nevertheless I recommend omitting melismatic slurs in renaissance music because they - that's my personal point of view - also associate to phrasing, specifically legato singing which is not necessarily what you want when performing music like this.

I've just had a look in my music typesetting "bible", 'Music Notatian' by Gardner Read. In the section on vocal notation Read doesn't specify anything about melismatic slurs in his description text, but he does use them in a couple of music examples. So I can't use Read as an argument for my point of view on melismatic slurs:-)

Thank you!

Alexander

Christian Mondrup, Sheet Music Editor
WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive