I had the same problem and found this the most practicable solution:
generate the PMX code, translate it to TeX and then move the text into
the LaTeX source. You have to add some \input commands in the header
of the LaTeX document and then the exact formatting can be done there.

I also use this procedure for my translations of thoroughbass sources. If you have many few bars long music lines to embed "TeX capacity exceeded" can become an issue when you don't load the files in the LaTeX preamble which are \input in the top lines of the PMX generated TeX files. Using this method I was able to include several hundreds of small examples without having to edit the code generated by PMX. You may simply \input the code generated by PMX. That avoids re-editing of the LaTeX file each time you change the PMX input file.

regards
Bernhard