The ornament in question clearly starts with an appoggiatura, which ought to
be held about half the value of the main note. Then comes a trill, as fast
as you can go. Finally, the last note (the main note) should be reached a
little bit before the next beat, so it sounds like a main note. The way JSB
notated it in his table gets all of this across. One thing it doesn't get
across is that the number of vibrations in the trill will depend on the
tempo as well as the facility of the performer.

This assessment is based on 29 years of experience playing the harpsichord.

There are many examples in Francois Couperin's harpsichord works of _written
out_ ornamental passages where the note values don't add up, and even more
examples of misguided modern editors who tried to correct them.

I don't regard these sorts of discrepancies as errors. They're
manifestations of the impossibility of notationally conveying the exact way
of realizing any ornament in a way that fits all possible situations.

--Don Simons