On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:15:14 +0200 (Paris, Madrid)
From: Jean-Pierre Coulon <cou...@obs-nice.fr>
To: Werner Icking Music Archive <tex-mu...@icking-music-archive.org>
Subject: [TeX-Music] Making PostScript files with a virtual PostScript  printer,
    .pdf

I often convert .doc, .ppt, .xls etc. files to PostScript with the method described here: http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/Pdf_scores_HOWTO.php

i.e. installing a IBM 4039 LaserPrinter I'll never buy, and printing into a file.

For usual WIMA contributors this is only a step to produce a .pdf score, but sometimes, I have a .pdf document open with Acrobat Reader, and I want to produce the .ps of a single page to include it into a LaTeX document with \epsfig. So I start printing this page with this IBM 4039 printer, I check the box 'Print into a file', and when I say OK, the usual box asking me the output file name doesn't show up! Nothing else happens!

Is there anything wrong between this PS printer and Acrobat Reader? In another PS printer better?

if I understand your problem correctly, all you really want is a
method to cut a  few pages (actually: a single page) from a .ps
file, producing a new .ps file, which you then can convert to an
.eps file, e.g. for use in a LaTeX document.

I find that this is quite easy with gsview [the
ghostgum\gsview32.exe version, to be exact]. Just load gsview with
your .ps file, use the "file -> extract" button, and select your
desired page(s) . After the "OK" button, you will get a window for choosing a name for your new (extracted) .ps file and the desired
folder in which to store it.

After that, again with gsview, you let it make an .eps file
from the .ps file, and you're done.
   (Conveniently, gsview will warn you that the .ps --> .eps
    conversion will work properly only with 1-page files.
    But that is not news ...)

Hope this is what you wanted.

ccn.
  Prof.Dr. Cornelius C. Noack          Phones:
  Inst. f. Theor. Physik FB 1       office   : +49 (421) 218-2427
  Universit"at Bremen               secretary: -2422
  Otto-Hahn-Allee                   Fax      : -4869
  D - 28334  Bremen                 home     : +49 (421) 34 22 36
                                                   Fax:  346 7872
  E-mail: noack at itp.uni-bremen.de   or  ccnoack at mailaps.org
  WWW-page: www.itp.uni-bremen.de/~noack