OK, I'm a programmer so usually use "make" for TeX files as I would for
other projects and I've never had a problem with errorlevels in MiKTeX (make
aborts on any stage if the errorlevel is non-zero).

Does this shell script improve the situation - you've stated that you're
using WinXP so this file would be called musixtex.cmd rather than
musixtex.bat (this seems acceptable as the latest version of MiKTeX is
abandoning the 95/98/Me line)

---- BEGIN musixtex.cmd ----
@setlocal enableextensions
@echo off

if not exist %~n1.tex goto :EOF

if exist %~n1.mx2 del %~n1.mx2
tex %* && musixflx %~n1 && tex %* && yap %~1.dvi
---- END musixtex.cmd ----

Deleting the .mx1 file is AFAIK unnecessary - musixtex.tex works out which
stage it's at based on the presence of the .mx2 file - the first pass
results are always overwritten in that instance.

HTH,

David