Cornelius C. Noack wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Don Simons wrote:

Naturally when I saw Luigi's posting (which BTW I understood clearly; no
need to apologize for the English) I wondered how much work it would be to
make PMX do this. I'll give it some more thought. As usual I'd have to
re-educate myself about what PMX does now under transposition, and also
explore MusiXTeX capabilities in this area. I'd have to do some pretty
serious empirical research to work out how to make MusiXTeX transpose
different parts by different amounts. Also, it's not obvious to me that
everyone would always want to enter all parts in concert key; would anyone
ever want to enter parts in their transposed keys?

Now, to Don's question: IMHO both version are needed, or at least
useful! For the non-professional reader of a score, seeing the
written notes the way they sound in reality is certainly an
advantage. The professional conductor, however, is quite used to
earing in his mind the written transposed notes as they sound in
reality, and would possibly find seeing them non-transposed an inconvenience in discussing the music with the instrumentalists during rehearsal.
In fact, most printed scores (even pocket scores) use the
transposed notes for the transposing instruments (These editorial
usages become really awkard, BTW , in contemporary music where you
may see a voice simply named 'clarinet' , leaving the reader with sometimes extended research into whether the composer meant a
clarinet in B flat or E flat or else, transposed or non-transposed,
for example, with no accidentals to help her decide!).

From a typesetters point-of-view I'd highly appreciate to code all staves in concert pitch. For me it is a complication to proof read a score with transposed staves. I'll typically do the proof reading while listening to the MIDI output. When I hear something sounding wrong it's advantageous for me to check and correct the typo in concert pitch.

--
Christian Mondrup, Archive Editor
WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive