Wow, I wish I understood Italian. That looks like a really nice volume
you’re putting together.

I successfully compiled the posted file, and got the same long stem on p.20.
Then I removed everything else except the extract:

================================

\documentclass[12pt,italian,a4paper]{book}

\usepackage[italian]{babel}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

\usepackage[pdftex,bookmarks,bookmarksopen=true,pdffitwindow=true,pdftitle={
Metodo per Matteo},pdftitle={Marcello Anselmi
Tamburini},colorlinks=true]{hyperref}

\usepackage{textcomp}

\usepackage{musixtex}

%\usepackage{colortbl}

%\usepackage{fullpage}

\usepackage{lipsum}

\usepackage{latexsym}

\title{Metodo per Matteo}

\author{Marcello Anselmi Tamburini}

%\date{Estate 2009}

\begin{document}

Infatti, se, per esempio, ci sono tre bemolli in chiave, troviamo che la
tonaltià è Mi$\flat$ Maggiore: cominciando una scala dal Mi$\flat$, abbiamo
la seguente progressione

\begin{music}

%\instrumentnumber{1}

\generalsignature{-3}

\startextract

\NOtes\qa{efghijkl}\en%

\endextract

\end{music}

\end{document}

======================================

This compiles fine too, and the long stem is gone. So I don’t have a
solution. It’s not simply a problem with the local MusiXTeX source for the
extract; it’s interacting with something else in the file. It’s going to
take someone with more smarts or patience than me to figure this one out.
You might get some clues by starting with the full document, then
successively removing parts of it and recompiling until the problem goes
away.

This is the sort of problem that our dear patriarch Werner Icking would have
solved in an instant.

The problems on p. 35 are MusiXTeX coding errors:  If you want the
\nextstaff to go back to the beginning of the bar, you should not close the
notes group with \en and start a new one. When you close the notes group
with \en, the insertion point stays where it is, and the next notes group
will go to the right of that. Also you should use different horizontal
spacing for the first two beats of bar 5, probably \Notes .

--Don Simons