> > Hello All,
> >
> > I can compile e.g. the example below, as well as adagio.tex and a number
of
> > other complex examples from WIMA, but cannot compile the simple example
in
> > section 1.2 of the Musixtex manual, v. T114 p. 3 (after adding \input
> > musixtex at the beginning).

I think that the actual problem is that the MusiXTeX manual is written in
LaTeX, not Plain TeX.

Note that \usepackage{musixtex} is different from \input musixtex because
the former loads musixtex.sty (and so musixltx.tex) which sets up the
{music} environment.

The easiest fix for copying samples from musixdoc.tex is to use this
template:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{musixtex}

\begin{document}

\begin{music}
% copied sample
\end{music}

\end{document}

and compile using *LaTeX*. If you really want to stick with Plain TeX then
you must ignore the \begin{music} and \end{music} lines and use this general
template:

\input musixtex

% copied sample without the \begin{music} and \end{music}

\bye

I'm confused however as you say that \setstaffs was causing an error and
wonder if you were perhaps compiling with LaTeX originally but without a
\documentclass call (or \usepackage) and so getting the wrong error message.

> AFAIK p.3 is part of Table of Contents! Do you mean the Mozart excerpt
> p.10? Can't you attach your sample file here?

The Mozart excerpt *is* on "Page 3" (page 10 of the PDF). Page 3 of the PDF
is "Page iii" (Preface to T.113') :o)

HTH,

David