> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, David Allsopp wrote:
>
> > How about \raise\xpos\rlap{\kern\ypos#3} instead?
>
> Works fine if I express the vertical position of the first \rlap in
> terms of
> \internote's above the first line, but is there any way to make a macro
> that
> accomodates a note name, like \zcharnote and computes \xpos?

OK, so this gets a bit internal - \zcharnote fundamentally uses \xg...@i -
this macro takes a note specification in #1 and puts a number into \...@i
(which is a \count declared by MusiXTeX). So the raise that you want is then
\...@i\internote (which is put into \...@i if you use the shorthand macro
\...@base).

I think (it's a while since I did any MusiXTeX hacking) that you can safely
use \xg...@i at any point (though as it involves assignments, it obviously
must be at the top level - i.e. not in an \edef) - MusiXTeX macros are
supposed to treat the result in \...@i as volatile (i.e. they use it as soon
as it's been set without risking a user macro getting in the way...)

You will need \makeatletter for that :o)

David