On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 04:03:30PM +0200, Roland Stigge wrote:

> upon compiling mtxdoc.tex (from latest m-tx 0.60d), I get the following
> error:

> pdflatex mtxdoc
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
> ! No room for a new \count .

I use Ubuntu, which has the identical pdfTeX version as you have,
with no problems.

I append my /etc/texmf/texmf.d/95NonPath.cnf, which may differ
from yours.  That's where sizes are set.

Dirk
# $progname: kpathsea v. 3.5.3 or later overwrites this at runtime. To
# avoid empty expansions from binaries linked against an earlier
# version of the library, we set $progname and $engine to something
# non-empty:
progname = unset
engine = unset

%  Part 2: Non-path options.

% If this option is set to true, `tex a.b' will look first for a.b.tex
% (within each path element), and then for a.b, i.e., we try standard
% extensions first.  If this is false, we first look for a.b and then
% a.b.tex, i.e., we try the name as-is first.
%
% Both names are always tried; the difference is the order in which they
% are tried.  The setting applies to all searches, not just .tex.
%
% This setting only affects names being looked up which *already* have
% an extension.  A name without an extension (e.g., `tex story') will
% always have an extension added first.
%
% The default is true, because we already avoid adding the standard
% extension(s) in the usual cases.  E.g., babel.sty will only look for
% babel.sty, not babel.sty.tex, regardless of this setting.
try_std_extension_first = t

% Write .log/.dvi/etc. files here, if the current directory is unwritable.
% TEXMFOUTPUT = /tmp

% If a dynamic file creation fails, log the command to this file, in
% either the current directory or TEXMFOUTPUT.  Set to the
% empty string or  0  to avoid logging.
MISSFONT_LOG = missfont.log

% Set to a colon-separated list of words specifying warnings to suppress.
% To suppress everything, use TEX_HUSH = all; this is currently equivalent to
% TEX_HUSH = checksum:lostchar:readable:special
% To suppress nothing, use TEX_HUSH = none or do not set the variable at all.
TEX_HUSH = none

% Enable system commands via \write18{...}.  When enabled fully (set to
% 1), obviously insecure.  When enabled partially (set to p), only the
% commands listed in shell_escape_commands are allowed.  Although this
% is not fully secure either, it is much better, and so useful that we
% enable it for everything but bare tex.
shell_escape = p

% Special: convert is the standard command name for ImageMagick, but it
% is also the name of a dangerous filesystem-changing command on
% Windows.  So enable imgconvert (used in w32tex), but not convert.

% No spaces in this command list.
shell_escape_commands = \
bibtex,bibtex8,dvips,epstopdf,epspdf,etex,fc-match,\
imgconvert,\
kpsewhich,makeindex,mkgrkindex,\
pdfluatex,ps2pdf,ps4pdf,pstopdf,pygmentize,\
rpdfcrop,texindy,xindy,ulqda\

% plain TeX should remain unenhanced.
shell_escape.tex = f

% Allow TeX \openin, \openout, or \input on filenames starting with `.'
% (e.g., .rhosts) or outside the current tree (e.g., /etc/passwd)?
% a (any)        : any file can be opened.
% r (restricted) : disallow opening "dotfiles".
% p (paranoid)   : as 'r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
%                  restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
openout_any = p
openin_any = a

%% Deprecated option
%% % Disable search on multiple suffixes filenames. In many case, when `foo.bar'
%% % is looked for, you do not want to look for `foo.bar.tex' before. This flag
%% % disables searching for standard suffixes if the file name has already an
%% % extension of 3 characters. Default value is true (old behaviour).
%% allow_multiple_suffixes =                       f

% Allow TeX and MF to parse the first line of an input file for
% the %&format construct.
parse_first_line = t

% But don't parse the first line if invoked as "tex", since we want that
% to remain Knuth-compatible.  The src_specials and
% file_line_error_style settings, as well as the options -enctex,
% -mltex, -8bit, etc., also affect this, but they are all off by default.
parse_first_line.tex = f

% Control file:line:error style messages.
file_line_error_style = f

% Enable the mktex... scripts by default?  These must be set to 0 or 1.
% Particular programs can and do override these settings, for example
% dvips's -M option.  Your first chance to specify whether the scripts
% are invoked by default is at configure time.
%
% These values are ignored if the script names are changed; e.g., if you
% set DVIPSMAKEPK to `foo', what counts is the value of the environment
% variable/config value `FOO', not the `MKTEXPK' value.
%
% MKTEXTEX = 0
% MKTEXPK = 0
% MKTEXMF = 0
% MKTEXTFM = 0
% MKTEXFMT = 0
% MKOCP = 0
% MKOFM = 0

% Used by makempx to run TeX.  We use "etex" because MetaPost is
% expecting DVI, and not "tex" because we want first line parsing.
TEX = etex

% These variables specify the external program called for the
% interactive `e' option.  %d is replaced by the line number and %s by
% the current filename.  The default is specified at compile-time, and
% we let that stay in place since different platforms like different values.
%TEXEDIT = vi +%d "%s"
%MFEDIT = ${TEXEDIT}
%MPEDIT = ${TEXEDIT}

%  Part 3: Array and other sizes for TeX (and Metafont and MetaPost).
%
% If you want to change some of these sizes only for a certain TeX
% variant, the usual dot notation works, e.g.,
% main_memory.hugetex = 20000000
%
% If a change here appears to be ignored, try redumping the format file
% with fmtutil-sys.

% Memory. Must be less than 8,000,000 total.
%
% main_memory is relevant only to initex, extra_mem_* only to non-ini.
% Thus, have to redump the .fmt file after changing main_memory; to add
% to existing fmt files, increase extra_mem_*.  (To get an idea of how
% much, try \tracingstats=2 in your TeX source file;
% web2c/tests/memtest.tex might also be interesting.)
%
% To increase space for boxes (as might be needed by, e.g., PiCTeX),
% increase extra_mem_bot.
%
% For some xy-pic samples, you may need as much as 700000 words of memory.
% For the vast majority of documents, 60000 or less will do.
%
main_memory = 3000000 % words of inimemory available; also applies to inimf&mp
extra_mem_top = 0     % extra high memory for chars, tokens, etc.
extra_mem_bot = 0     % extra low memory for boxes, glue, breakpoints, etc.

% ConTeXt needs lots of memory.
extra_mem_top.context = 2000000
extra_mem_bot.context = 4000000

% Lambda too is a memory hog with all languages installed
main_memory.lambda = 2200000

% Words of font info for TeX (total size of all TFM files, approximately).
% Must be >= 20000 and <= 4000000 (without tex.ch changes).
font_mem_size = 3000000

% Total number of fonts. Must be >= 50 and <= 9000 (without tex.ch changes).
font_max = 9000

% Extra space for the hash table of control sequences (which allows 10K
% names as distributed).
hash_extra = 50000

% Max number of characters in all strings, including all error messages,
% help texts, font names, control sequences.  These values apply to TeX and MP.
pool_size = 1250000
% Minimum pool space after TeX/MP's own strings; must be at least
% 25000 less than pool_size, but doesn't need to be nearly that large.
string_vacancies = 90000
% Maximum number of strings.
max_strings = 500000
% min pool space left after loading .fmt
pool_free = 47500

% Buffer size.  TeX uses the buffer to contain input lines, but macro
% expansion works by writing material into the buffer and reparsing the
% line.  As a consequence, certain constructs require the buffer to be
% very large, even though most documents can be handled with a small value.
buf_size = 200000

% Hyphenation trie.  The maximum possible is 4194303 (ssup_trie_size in
% the sources), but we don't need that much.  The value here suffices
% for all known free hyphenation patterns to be loaded simultaneously
% (as TeX Live does).
%
trie_size = 700000

hyph_size = 8191         % prime number of hyphenation exceptions, >610, <32767.
                         % http://primes.utm.edu/curios/page.php/8191.html
nest_size = 500          % simultaneous semantic levels (e.g., groups)
max_in_open = 15         % simultaneous input files and error insertions
+                        % also applies to MetaPost
param_size = 10000       % simultaneous macro parameters
save_size = 50000        % for saving values outside current group
stack_size = 5000        % simultaneous input sources

% These are Omega-specific.
ocp_buf_size = 500000    % character buffers for ocp filters.
ocp_stack_size = 10000   % stacks for ocp computations.
ocp_list_size = 1000     % control for multiple ocps.

% Parameter specific to MetaPost.
% Size of the hash table for control sequences, default 65536.
% hash_size.mpost = 65536

% These work best if they are the same as the I/O buffer size, but it
% doesn't matter much.  Must be a multiple of 8.
dvi_buf_size = 16384 % TeX
gf_buf_size = 16384  % MF

% It's probably inadvisable to change these. At any rate, we must have:
% 45 < error_line      < 255;
% 30 < half_error_line < error_line - 15;
% 60 <= max_print_line;
% These apply to Metafont and MetaPost as well.
error_line = 79
half_error_line = 50
max_print_line = 79