Dirk Laurie wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 04:03:30PM +0200, Roland Stigge wrote:
> >
> > upon compiling mtxdoc.tex (from latest m-tx 0.60d), I get the
> > following
> > error:

> > ==
> > pdflatex mtxdoc
> > This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
> > ! No room for a new \count .
>
> I use Ubuntu, which has the identical pdfTeX version as you have, with no
> problems.
>
> I append my /etc/texmf/texmf.d/95NonPath.cnf, which may differ from
> yours.  That's where sizes are set.

IIRC the deal is that LaTeX is supposed to be run under eTeX, but not
necessarily with the extensions enabled - you need to include \usepackage{etex}
to cause the allocation routines to be overloaded. Although eTeX allows you to
have more \count registers etc, you need a patched version of \newcount and so
on to allow for them to be used.

It is *possible* that some distros load the etex package by default - I'm not
familiar enough with LaTeX to know if that's something which can be easily be
done.

David