Saluton.
I think I've started reading this subject not from the beginning. But just
for the record, I always used Latex for scientific documents (for more than
20 years) and recently (about 5 years ago) I started using latex together
with musixtex and everything works fine for me. I never used PMX and I type
musixtex commands directly into my latex file with no problem. Basically I
write lectures about musical instruments with lots of text and some musical
pieces of one or two lines and also whole pieces of one or two pages.
Regards,
Filipe

2011/9/23 Dirk Laurie <d...@sun.ac.za>

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 05:48:26AM +0200, Don Simons wrote:
> > 4. LaTeX has nothing to do with any of this. LaTeX is a special set of
> macros
> > designed to supposedly make TeX easier to use to produce nice text
> documents.
> > There is absolutely no requirement to use LaTeX together with MusiXTeX;
> in
> > fact, it just complicates matters to the extent that you should NEVER use
> > them together unless you have a REALLY good reason AND are a pretty
> > user already.
> >

> I agree, but let me dot some i's and stroke some t's.
>
>  - TeX is a typesetting program with particularly strong support for
>   mathematical typesetting, where exact two-dimensional positioning
>   is important.  TeX is idiosyncratic but powerful, abstruse but
>   conceptually simple, huge but very well supported over almost 30 years.
>   There is nothing that TeX cannot do, but it is not user-friendly.
>  - TeX is also a customizable typesetting language that allows the user
>   to define his own special-purpose instructions for other pernickety
>   typesetting tasks, like music.  Don Knuth (the author of TeX) writes
>   a special set of macros for every typesetting task he undertakes and
>   honestly expects other TeX users to be similary diligent.  (Instead,
>   they prefer to abuse existing macro libraries.)
>  - MusiXTeX is a music typesetting program written in TeX.  The need
>   for exact two-dimensional positioning is even more crucial than in
>   mathematics, extending to whole pages and even whole scores in which
>   a change made in one bar can affect decisions on the appearance of
>   every page.  It's not user-friendly any more than TeX itself is,
>   which is why it's much nicer to use it indirectly via PMX.
>  - LaTeX is a markup language written in TeX, i.e. a language that
>   urges you to think abstractly about your document: not "indented"
>   but "quoted", not "italics" but "emphasized", not "large boldface
>   with open space above and below" but "section heading", etc.
>   It's user-friendly (well, compared to TeX it is) and equally well
>   supported, so it has become a de facto standard among scientists.
>
> So you see, there are two conflicting tasks: typesetting, in which you
> care about minute details of appearance; and markup, in which you say
> broadly want you require and the program takes care of the rest.
>
> If you mix MusiXTeX and LaTeX, the two pull against each other, and you
> spend a lot of time compensating for the things LaTeX has done to your
> document.  The only case where it is useful to mix them, is when a
> scientist who knows LaTeX well tries to write a document like the M-Tx
> manual, which is in the first place a structured text document, but has
> numerous small music inserts.
>
> But it is even more idiomatic to do it as in the MusiXTeX manual, where
> the author did what Knuth wanted and wrote his own special-purpose set
> of macros for the purpose.

> [...]

Prof. Filipe de Moraes Paiva,
http://geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva<http://www.geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva>,
prof.fmpa...@gmail.com , fmpa...@cbpf.br
*Um pandeiro na mão e uma ideia no pé*
Mediateca de Línguas Estrangeiras, seção Esperanto
Departamento de Física, Colégio Pedro II - U.E. Humaitá II
*VIBRO KAJ VIVO* (*numero 3*)
http://geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva/vibrokajvivo<http://geocities.ws/prof-fmpaiva/vibrokajvivo/numero-2/numero-2.html>
http://facebook.com/Filipe.de.Moraes.Paiva
https://groups.google.com/group/tuta-monda-scienca-historio-esperante