Thanks, Dirk. The problem that I was having with the inline method is the
same one you got: started one kind of hairpin while the other is on. Thiis
problem
arises only in polyphonic music. I had already seen the warning about
unpredictable results in the M-tx manual, but i thought it referred to
using > and >. in
the uptext line instead of e.g. >8.

   The only possibility I could think of was to code the mtx without the
crescendos
and decrescendo, get the pmx file from the mtx file and introduce the
crescendo and decrescendo signs
directly in the pmx file. I will try it out and see whether it works.

Sebastian.