In looking at Bernhard Lang's setting of M. Rossi's "Toccata Settima" (a
great piece I'm trying to learn on my Italian harpsichord), in the on screen
view of the pdf I noticed various horizontal misalignments between stems and
noteheads, and between stems and beams. They are NOT due to any typesetting
errors, but somehow come from one or more of the processing steps tex (or
etex), dvips, postscript viewing, PDF generation, PDF viewing. They aren't
nearly as obvious in the printed page but at least some of the stem-beam
misalignments can still be seen. I see similar but not identical things when
I process the .pmx file with my own defaults.

I recall that years ago someone looked into this issue and I think they
produced some software that addressed it, but I can't find any record of it.
It may have been one of our Japanese contributors. Does anyone remember that
or have any other thoughts about this? I could provide some specific
examples but I think anyone can get the idea by just looking at the posted
PDF

http://www.icking-music-archive.org/scores/rossi/toccata-settima.pdf, e.g.,
first group of 16ths in bar 5 bass clef.

--Don Simons