This list is so quiet, I hope there's someone out there.

I'm making an edition of the lute version of Bach's solo Cello suite #5, so
I can play it on harpsichord. The original is in two staves with bass and
tenor clef. I want to use only bass and treble clefs. The upper line is
centered around middle C and varies up or down by an octave.

Are there any guidelines for how to assign notes to staves? The options I
can think of are

1. Keep the right-hand notes in the upper staff and change the clef there
between bass and treble as needed to avoid too many ledger lines. Is there
any rule or precedent about how many ledger lines is too many? As a former
clarinetist, I can deal with three. The advantage of this is that staff
placement dictates which hand to use to play the notes. Disadvantage is lots
of clef changes.

2. Keep the upper clef as treble and let the right-hand notes wander into
the lower staff as appropriate. The problem with this that there's no
immediate clue about which hand to use, when the upper line goes into the
lower staff.  I could try to use stem directions for that (up=RH, down-LH).
But when the bass notes are very low and there are no other notes in the
lower staff, it looks stupid to use down-stems there.

???

--Don Simons