Thanks Andre. I forgot to consider halfbrackets. Turns out I invented some
and used them myself in my Pachelbel Canon transcription for keyboard
http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/117176
I'll attach the source for Lute Suite as I have it (if it doesn't post on
the mail list and you want it, send me a personal email). Not ready to post
in IMSLP as there are a few errors. I went for strictly one staff per hand,
so lots of clef changes. Another thing in favor of this approach is that it
frees you to set stem directions based on other considerations, such as the
baroque tendency to avoid more than one notehead on a stem.

--Don

Behalf Of