Am 31.12.2012 17:10, schrieb Bob Tennent:
>  >|However, this is the one package that one absolutely must
>  >|download and install from the original version. The repackaging
>  >|industry tends to lag behind. For example, if you use the latest
>  >|Ubuntu LTS (12.04 Precise Pangolin) you haven't got it.

The problem is the LTS version: either you use the up-to-date version
(raring? At least quantal!) and get texlive2012, or you use the LTS
version getting only security fixes and some tested bugfix version and
have a stable, but soon somehow outdated system... it was your choice
;-) Of course you /can/ install texlive by hand, if you don't care about
the benefits of a clean system package management system. Actually it is
often recommended, but somehow this is a bit contradictive to the idea
of LTS distros...

> Dirk:  I believe Ubuntu depends on Debian packaging and the Debian
> maintainer for musixtex et al regards WIMA as the upstream source.
> m-tx 0.60d-5 is in Debian testing.

And works quite well. Only some of the short commands for compiling the
m-tx sources seem to be missing ("pmx2pdf" and "m-tx"), but the basic
commands prepmx (for m-tx) and pmx (pmx & tex for pmx -> dvi) are
working great.

Cheers,
Simon