Am 01.01.2013 05:45, schrieb Don Simons:
> After Dirk's ringing endorsement, I decided to try out TeXLive in Windoze
> XT.

Under Win, usually MikTeX is recommended (which also has pmx & m-tx as
packages). Its package manager is quite intuitive for win users :-) -
and the installation is very easy since decades.

> It did appear to install OK, although it took 3 hours, evidently
> downloading all of the thousands of individual files one at a time
> (uncompressed?), limited by a 5 Mbps connection.

When you do the /full/ installation, you get some gigabyte of packages,
no matter if compressed or uncompressed, as the tug installation media
changed from several CDs to a DVD (there are several tex engines,
different macro pakages, helper programs and thousands of packages,
fonts etc. - but then you could even set klingon music with additional
texts in runes and the japanese and arabic translations ;-) ). Isn't
there a "basic" or "minimal" installation?

> I did confirm that
> pmxab.exe and pmx2pdf.exe were in a bin directory that had been put in the
> path. Opened a command window, went to a folder containing test.pmx, and
> typed pmx2pdf test. It ran pmxab OK, created test.tex, started up etex,
> found musixtex.tex in folder
> c:/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/musixtex, then when it came to
> "\input pmx", stopped with the message
>
> ! I can't find file 'pmx'
>
> By searching, I found that pmx.tex had been put into
> c:/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/doc/generic/pmx
> This doesn't seem like a place where tex files should go no matter whose
> conventions you're following.

This is definitely a bug.

> I'm writing this email after about 30 minutes
> of fruitless searching for instructions about how to find out what folders
> are being searched, tell the system where the file is if its folder is not
> in the list, and then "update the filename database" (all things I know how
> to do in MiKTeX).
>
> If anyone cares to tell me how to do that in TeXLive, I'd appreciate it, and
> perhaps comment on why pmx.tex is in that particular folder. Meanwhile I'll
> probably continue searching and experimenting. But this is not my idea of a
> dream.

Unfortunately I have texlive only installed via debian packages, and
there some packages (as pmx and m-tx) are separately handled by the
debian package management.
On tex-level, you can always type
texhash
in a command windows, that re-creates the package data base.
But there must also be a command option of tlmgr or a button in
tlmgr --gui
(or how you get the gui of the texlive manager - should also have an
entry in the start menu).

I would also first of all do a full update of any outdated package via
the tlmgr, at least from miktex I know that bugfixes of a single latex
package take some time to get into the windows installers.

> On a related note, and before I did the above test, I was explaining to a
> Mac-head friend about the supposedly new and seamless way that people can
> get tex, musixtex, and pmx from online archives. To my surprise he wanted to
> test it out, and did a default install of MacTeX on the spot. After it
> finished (in about 15 minutes), I had him search his hard drive for pmx.tex
> and musixtex.tex, and he didn't find either one.

Did he also install the corresponding texlive packages? An installation
of full texlive in 15 minutes would be increadibel fast - I suppose he
just installed the basic tex engine with the most basic latex packages.
That is enough for the classic "hello world" example of a latex document
(but for extra features like music notation you will need extra packages).

I hope you get the installation working soon.

Cheers, Simon