I'm curious what exactly you want to do. If PMX can't already do it, I'm
willing as always to consider adding some capability to make it possible.

I've looked briefly at the expositions in T112, and it looks like Pandora's
box to me, with statements like "In hidden instruments, rests no more behave
like \hbox{...} and raise-ing them will result in an error." and "In hidden
instruments, explicit \hboxes will remain as empty boxes, thus causing
abnormal vertical spacings between instruments. Therefore, anything suspect
should be made conditional with:
\ifactiveinstrument - the problematic code code to be omitted if instrument
is hidden - \fi

--Don Simons