If you have not read Harvey's comments, do that first (see below) so mine may
make more sense

"Opinion, based on observations and not facts"

Something very similar was once said about the role of hydrogen sulfide in the
origin of some caves.

Well-thought out, Harvey. And written well. Add to your comments my own
observations that not all managers are especially benevolent. They take actions
to benefit their own power base or pathway to advancement within the system.

That said, individuals who really care about caves and karst in these Agencies
do, indeed, find it difficult (if not impossible) to do the "right thing" for
the caves. Cavers, when faced with management obstacles, should keep your
comments in mind.

Caving on public lands in this country has clearly changed in fundamental ways.
This Bat Fungus thing has impinged on cave management decisions in the East as
well as western Federal lands.

You and I are among those whose lives were fundamentally changed by our
exploration of caves. In our lifetime, cavers have successfully brought the
importance of this resource to public attention in ways that far transcend
simple tourism. That has resulted in management awareness of cave- and
karst-related problems and led to sometimes-difficult decisions, not the least
of which have to do with Bat Fungus. When they are not sure what to do,
managers may be well advised to error on the conservative side and shut things
down.

I don't like that, but it could be the best thing for the caves and future
generations of cavers. Caves are not a very renewable resource. Cavers are.

Dwight Deal