I have a hard time seeing humans as a significant vector in the spread of
WNS, and have seen no evidence that supports this as a reality, not just a
possibility. This includes the initial jump across the Atlantic. If humans
are a minor factor in the spread then we may expect the disease to run its
course as it is spread by  major vectors (bat-to-bat). Likewise, where
lands in the southeast are owned by a number of entities (USFS, NPS, state
lands, private lands, etc), closing any one could not possibly contain the
disease. What is as disturbing as the rapid spread of WNS is the seeming
bias introduced in its study. We hear repeatedly how *humans are a
vector*even as they ignore any and all suggestions to the contrary, as
for
instance the paper on geographic translocation in bats.

Although decon is a reasonable precaution to slow the spread of WNS, it
relies on the honesty and integrity of the people signing the forms.  And
for cavers with boots, we can imagine that few want to soak their boots in
sufficiently hot water for the requisite period of time. I might suggest
(a) that, wherever possible, that sneakers should   be used instead of
boots, as they are more easily sterilized, and may even be thrown out after
visiting an infected cave, and (b) that land management agencies, grottoes,
etc., maintain sets of gear that are dedicated to a particular cave or
group of caves, within which the chance of transmission by bats is high. If
gear and ropes are not moved between caves or cave groups, and clothes are
washed in hot water and bleached, then the chance of human transmission
might be minimized even if caving in affected areas continued.

I would also encourage land management agencies in the SW to follow the
analytic example set by the Rocky Mountain Region in the EIS considering
WNS, and not the example set by the Southern Region USFS in their proposed
closure. The latter lacks transparency, employs a heavy-handed,
one-size-fits-all approach, reflects more conjecture than science, and
lacks accountability of ideas, data and conclusions. Furthermore, the
excessively brief period allowed for comments sends the message that the
concern and experience of the caving community counts for little.

Michael Queen