Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 11:58:08 -0600
From: jmofgu...@gmail.com
To: pjca...@gwi.net
CC: nmca...@comcast.net; s...@caver.net; dgda...@nyx.net; dbuec...@comcast.net;
derekbris...@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [SWR] Oklahoma removed from list of suspected bat fungus areas

I have a hard time seeing humans as a significant vector in the spread of WNS,
and have seen no evidence that supports this as a reality, not just a
possibility. This includes the initial jump across the Atlantic. If humans are
a minor factor in the spread then we may expect the disease to run its course
as it is spread by  major vectors (bat-to-bat). Likewise, where lands in the
southeast are owned by a number of entities (USFS, NPS, state lands, private
lands, etc), closing any one could not possibly contain the disease. What is as
disturbing as the rapid spread of WNS is the seeming bias introduced in its
study. We hear repeatedly how humans are a vector even as they ignore any and
all suggestions to the contrary, as for instance the paper on geographic
translocation in bats.

Although decon is a reasonable precaution to slow the spread of WNS, it relies
on the honesty and integrity of the people signing the forms.  And for cavers
with boots, we can imagine that few want to soak their boots in sufficiently
hot water for the requisite period of time. I might suggest (a) that, wherever
possible, that sneakers should   be used instead of boots, as they are more
easily sterilized, and may even be thrown out after visiting an infected cave,
and (b) that land management agencies, grottoes, etc., maintain sets of gear
that are dedicated to a particular cave or group of caves, within which the
chance of transmission by bats is high. If gear and ropes are not moved between
caves or cave groups, and clothes are washed in hot water and bleached, then
the chance of human transmission might be minimized even if caving in affected
areas continued.

I would also encourage land management agencies in the SW to follow the
analytic example set by the Rocky Mountain Region in the EIS considering WNS,
and not the example set by the Southern Region USFS in their proposed closure.
The latter lacks transparency, employs a heavy-handed, one-size-fits-all
approach, reflects more conjecture than science, and lacks accountability of
ideas, data and conclusions. Furthermore, the excessively brief period allowed
for comments sends the message that the concern and experience of the caving
community counts for little.

Michael Queen