WNS itself does not kill the bats.  It is in fact a minor irritant, much like a
nasal cold, that wakes the bats up in mid-winter during their hibernation and
uses up their reserve fats.  They fly out of the cave looking for a mid-winter
snack and can't find an open diner anywhere to eat at.  As such, they
essentially die from starvation or freezing to death.  I don't know of anyone
who died from a cold, as we know it.  Sooner or later, we all get over colds.
It's a question of whether or not they can survive the remainder of the winter
without more nourishment.

Peter