Early on in discussions of the spread of WNS it was pointed out that Howe Caverns (where WNS was first detected) is only 40 miles from the Port of Albany. An infected bat could very easily have hitched a ride from Europe to the US on a boat and then taken up residence in Howe Caverns. There is no need, or even likelihood, that a human vector was involved (other than running the ship). The CDC has published research showing how bats can be translocated over long distances: <http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no1/02-0104.htm>, <http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no1/pdfs/02-0104.pdf>

Too bad the media doesn't point this out instead of mindlessly repeating the possibility that WNS came on a caver's boot. :-(

Mark