This is true, by my experience. I wasn't at all allergic - could rub it on my
skin to no effect until I was in my mid-30's. Was out ridge walking, and stuck
my face down in a patch of it to look into a low lead under a ledge, and later
noticed just the faintest of itches, but no real rash. About 6 months later,
got into another patch while weeding the side yard at the old VG location on
Shady Ln (river bottom, so it was everywhere) and BLAM. I am now full-blown
don't even look at it allergic.