Pretty sure poison oak can be found in the eastern US, too.
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/poison-ivy-oak-and-sumac-leaves and sumac, too.

At 10/23/2013 08:42 AM -0500, Gill Edigar wrote:
I forgot to mention an apocryphal story regarding my East Texas cousins who were Piney Woods squirrel hunters in their youth and often came home with poison ivy lesions. My aunt used an old procedure that involved my cousins taking a certain number (which I don't remember) of ripe poison ivy seeds by mouth for several (again, I don't remember how many) days. They were, reportedly, cured of their sensitivity to poison ivy--or, at least, it was greatly diminished.
--Ediger